Getting enough protein is crucial, especially for plant-based eaters as it helps maintain balance and supports post-workout recovery.
We've collaborated with vegan foodie Evann Ryan to bring you this deliciously balanced high-protein plant-based tuna-style salad that'll help you power through your day.
Speaking of plant-based goodness, have you taken your NothingFishy supplements today? Now, let's get on to the recipe!
High-Protein Plant-Based Tuna-Style Salad Ingredients
- 4-5 cups boiling water
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein crumbles (soy or pea-based)
- ¼ cup seaweed flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1.5-2 tbsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup green beans
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
High-Protein Plant-Based Tuna-Style Salad Recipe Method
- Begin by placing your textured vegetable protein crumbles in a bowl and covering them with boiling water. Allow them to soak and hydrate for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Once the crumbles have soaked, drain them and press out as much water as possible.
- Transfer the hydrated crumbles to a bowl and season them with seaweed flakes, sea salt, and olive oil. Toss to ensure an even coating.
- Spread the seasoned crumbles evenly on the prepared baking tray and bake for 18-20 minutes or until they become crispy and golden brown.
How to assemble the salad
- While the "TVP Tuna" is baking, prepare the salad. In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, green beans, cherry tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro.
- Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the salad and toss everything together for even distribution.
- Once the "TVP Tuna" has cooled slightly, add it to the salad mixture and gently toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the plain vegan yogurt, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and black pepper to create the dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss again to ensure everything is coated evenly.
- Refrigerate the vegan tuna salad to allow it to cool completely.
For the green beans
- Wash and chop the green beans into two or three pieces each.
- Boil a small pot of water and add the green beans. Cook them for 3-4 minutes or until they become tender.
- Drain the beans and immediately rinse them with cold water.
- Add the blanched green beans to the salad bowl and season with an additional tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Macros: 426 cals - 23g fat - 31g carbs - 25g protein
About Evann Ryan
Evann specialises in crafting nutritious, high-protein plant-based recipes over on her Instagram @evannryan. Her journey to veganism began almost seven years ago when she watched the eye-opening documentary "What The Health."
While she was determined to embrace a plant-based lifestyle, she initially grappled with the practicalities of how to make it work on a daily basis. After about three months of trial and error, she managed to create a well-rounded, plant-based diet with a strong focus on high-quality plant-based protein sources.
"Recognising that a plant-based diet aligned with my values and offered numerous benefits for health, the environment and animal welfare, I couldn't wait to share what I'd learned. That's why I'm currently in the process of developing a comprehensive "Vegan for Beginners Masterclass" course. This course delves deep into the intricacies of maintaining a nutrient-rich, well-balanced plant-based diet that provides over 100 grams of protein daily. I aim to cover all the essential aspects I wish I had known when I first embraced veganism, helping you avoid the same pitfalls I encountered along the way."
If you're looking for straightforward recipes with readily available ingredients like the one above and want to stay updated on her "Vegan for Beginners Masterclass" course, make sure to follow Evann on Instagram: @evannryan, Pinterest: @evannryann, YouTube: @evannfrancisryan or visit her website at https://evannryan.com/.